Oak Ridge Youth Development School was established in 2006. The initial summer program was called “Lift Them Up”. It was proposed to provide academic enrichment and fun activities to the youth of our community grades kindergarten through twelve.
We Are Providing an Environment for Our Students to Grow & Excel
Because of Oak Ridge Youth Development Corporation desire to expand its program offerings, they established their own entity named the Oak Ridge Youth Development School as a 501(c)(3) in 2012.
Since 2013, Oak Ridge has been providing a summer enrichment program broadening its program offerings to include Science, Technology, Reading, Engineering, Art and Math (STREAM) with industry leading programs such as Lexia Core 5 Reading Programs and MangaHigh Math. Students enjoy programs in entrepreneurship, African American studies, financial literacy, character development, chess (problem solving and critical thinking), and life skills. Our integrated health curriculum includes healthy meals and snacks, swimming lessons through our partnership with Providence YMCA, daily physical fitness and Kids in the Kitchen where students learn how to make and enjoy healthy snacks. Before and after school care are also provided for families to ensure the safety of their children. Community leaders are called to mentor our young scholars through various field trips, “read alongs” and other activities.
- Focuses on literacy, math proficiency and establishing 21st-century skills.
- Instills in children, youth and young adults the intrinsic value of reading, high achievement, good character, and a healthy lifestyle.
- Provides certified teachers that establish establish consistent relationships with the children.
- Encourages children to believe they can make a difference in themselves, their family, their community, their country and world.
- Begins each morning with “Harambee!’ which brings children, staff, parents and community members together to celebrate themselves and each other and prepare for the work ahead.
- Integrates college intern and practicum students as classroom assistants.
Board of Directors
President and CEO
Dr. Ricky D. Turner
Diversity Compliance & Testing Group, Inc.
Chief of Staff
Office of KCK Mayor Tyrone Garner
Shanelle Dupree, Esquire
Attorney at Law
TPT Education Leaders
Dr. Shalaunda Gray
Banking Center Manager
Bank Midwest, Kansas City